1. What’s your background?
Quarter Venda, quarter Shangaan, Quarter Welsh, part Irish and English.
2. Have you always been interested in music? Was there a particular song/performance that motivated you to go into music?
My Mum is a poet and my Dad a musician so I have always enjoyed creativity and been around it but I think rap music (Dre, Snoop, Eminem) where the catalysts for me to take it seriously as an art form myself.
3. What inspired you to write West Baby?
The notion that I am a west baby came about from people from outside the uk describing me an an English boy or something similar and also someone referred to me as an exile baby because my Dad was in exile when I was born.
4. What inspires your writing? Do you draw inspiration from poems, music, TV, or other media?
I think music tv and social media inspires partly because they are places you get information, often the wrong information but information I can draw from in my art. Reading has also influenced my writing as it has shaped how I think over the years. Life is the greatest inspiration though I think my life experience is my biggest inspiration and is what I draw most of my writing from.
5. Does your music fit into your local scene? If so, how do you take advantage of that?
I think more so now with the scene that’s very centred around live music and headed up by QM records. Before it was a very white dominated hip hop scene so a lot of people weren’t ready for my kind of music. I think now more than ever people have their own lane so they can fit in where ever.
6. What do you enjoy most about being an artist?
The buzz you get when you get better and make stuff that you would listen to.
7. How do you balance your music with other obligations?
Music is usually at the forefront but I think just having a diary helps and managing your time correctly.
8. How has Covid-19 impacted your music and life in general?
Its meant that I can make more music and life is slower but the main thing is that it’s taken me out of my routine of getting up and going to work everyday and driving around all day.
9. You intend touring South Africa this year and next year. Do you have plans on ground to that effect?
Definitely! South Africa is definitely a place that I want to tour, create in and work. I love South Africa as a creative place, it’s very radical in its art as a country.
10. Who are your main musical influences?
Alicia Keys, Amampondo, Burning Spear, 2pac, Bob Marley. to name a few!